Wednesday 20 April 2016

Book Talk - Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

I recently went to Costco. You can usually find books that are currently popular for a lot cheaper there, so it's usually worth checking out while you're shopping. Anyways, I found Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. I had heard great things about it and it had received lots of hype. So, since it was so cheap, I got it! And I must say, I was not disappointed! Here's a summary for those who haven't read it:

Mare Barrow lives in a world divided by blood. There are the Silvers; they have powers and are wealthy. Then, there are the Reds; they have no powers and are destined to serve the Silvers for life while living in poverty. However, in front of the Silver king and all of his servants, Mare discovers that she has a power of her own - but she is a Red. The royal family hide her among themselves and declare that she is a long lost Silver princess. Mare is then betrothed to one of the king's sons. She secretly works to support the Scarlet Guard, a rebel organization hoping to overthrow the government and create peace and equality amongst the people. But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance, pitting Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart.

I did enjoy this book, but I will firstly start off by saying that most plot points were predictable. I knew which of the two princes she would have to marry and (SPOILER ALERT, SKIP TO NEXT PARAGRAPH) that she would end up betraying him, if not fully. The plot was obvious, and most plot twists were, too. I'm not sure if this was just for me because I read a lot or also for other readers.

Second, I sometimes got confused about who knew she was a Red and who knew she was part of the Scarlet Guard. Oftentimes, I was very confused, thinking to myself: "Wait, he knows?"

I had no specific attachment to the characters either, except the ones that died, which was pretty unfortunate. I didn't like Mare or Call much, for instance. Mare seemed pretty snotty. I was kind of neutral about them - I wasn't happy for them or sad for them. For most of this book, I felt nothing. Victoria Aveyard did do a good job making the characters appealing, I just didn't really feel any emotions when good or bad things happened to them.

However, I did really like the idea. I think the idea with the powers was very cool. I liked the plot and how there were sometimes unexpected things. For most of the book, I couldn't decide which love interest I preferred, which was a good thing I guess. I couldn't decide who I wanted Mare to end up with, so I of course wanted to know.

I just had to keep reading to find out how the book would end and if Mare would reach her goal. A lot of people disliked the ending, but I thought it was well written. (SPOILERS AHEAD. SKIP TO NEXT PARAGRAPH.) I think a lot of people were frustrated because of the cliffhanger with Maxon and how they felt it wasn't tied together well, but I liked it. I am totally going to have to read the next book. I have to admit, I was very shocked when Maxon revealed his true self. I was so surprised! I had absolutely no idea that was going to happen, not even a hunch. I was so in shock, and couldn't understand how that was the same person. Amazing plot twists and cliffhanger ending!

I liked the action sequences, specifically the last battle. I was excited to know what was going to happen and who would win. These scenes were quite captivating, which I liked. It was also mysterious at times, and I really liked the feel of the whole book.

I feel like in the way I enjoyed this book, and I think I will give it a solid 4 stars. Maybe 4.3, but I haven't made a star graphic for that, so I'll just use the 4 star one. :P


If you like fantasy, science fiction, dystopian, romance, or anything of sorts, you should give this book a try! I think you'd really like it.

One of my friends said the next book in the series, Glass Sword, is boring. I'm slightly afraid to read it now, but I still will! I need to know what happens, of course! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment