Tuesday 15 March 2016

The Birthstone Book Tag

Welcome to the Birthstone Book Tag! I originally saw this at Spines and Covers, which is a great book blog. It was originally created by Jay G. I saw this and thought it looked really interesting, so I decided to do it! Enjoy!


January (GARNET): Associate with warding off negative forces and dark energies – Name a book with the darkest/evilest character you can think of.

The Young Elites by Marie Lu. Adelina was such a dark character. Just because I like a character, that doesn't mean I agree with what they do at all. People who have read this book will understand. ;)


February (AMETHYST): Purple is associated with royalty – Name a book with regal qualities… You can base this off of characters or choose the King of all books

The only books with regal qualities that I've read, really, are The Jewel by Amy Ewing, as well as Cinder by Merissa Meyer. Another big one, though, is The Selection series by Kiera Cass.


March (AQUAMARINE): Washed out – Name a ‘wishy washy’ character, a character who is not strong or a follower

There aren't many characters like this. But I have picked one. I don't completely remember this book, but I think I'll go with Cassia from Matched by Allie Condie. She wasn't terrible, but not the best female protagonist I've read. (I also don't really know anyone else to pick. Most books I read have strong female characters. =P)


April (DIAMOND): A diamond in the rough – Name a book that you loved but is not well known

We Are All Made Of Molecules by Susin Nielsin. It should have received more hype! It was a really good, funny book. I'm not sure exactly how popular this book is, but I definitely think more people should know about it.



May (EMERALD): Said to balance energy – Name two characters who balance each other well
I think I'll pick Katniss and Peeta from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Katniss is smart and selfless, but rebellious and sometimes doesn't have much common sense regarding how to win herself sponsors and the like. Peeta isn't as smart as Katniss but is a much better actor. He's more polite when they do interviews and the like; it just seems to be easier for him to pretend. I think they both have good and bad qualities that balance out.

June (Pearl): Associated with loyalty – Name a character who is loyal to the end


I assume 'loyal to the end' means loyal until death, not until the end of the books. (SPOILER AHEAD ABOUT DIVERGENT.) So probably Tris from Divergent, because she keeps fighting for what she believes in til the end.


July (RUBY): Blood red – Name a book that made your blood boil, one that made you angry

Every book with a sassy/posh/spoiled character. A bit of sass is funny, a lot of sass makes me insanely dislike the character. And spoiled kids in books are also absolutely the worst. Examples of annoying/posh/overly sassy characters are Draco Malfoy and Dolores Umbridge. Just so GRRR. Both of them. With their smug smiles and their "I'm better than everyone else because I misuse the power and authority and purebloodedness I have." Umbridge is worse than Voldemort. What especially annoys me is Draco's "MY FATHER WILL HEAR ABOUT THIS."


August (PERIDOT): Pale green (it pales in comparison to other gems) – Name a supporting character who you like better than the main character


Raven from The Jewel. She just had her life together a little more than Violet. Unlike Violet, she didn't cry when they left Southgate, instead she rushed Violet into a room to get her cleaned up. She's a good friend and seemed much more tough and hardcore than Violet.
Another HUGE one I just remembered is in the Harry Potter books. I liked Ron, and Hermione especially because I kind of related to her. Harry was nice, I guess. But I liked Ron because he was funny, in the movies especially (the faces he makes are amazing), and Hermione because I can relate to her excitement about books and school. If was a muggle-born witch, I'd want to learn as much as possible about the wizarding world. I feel like I'm kind of a mix of Hermione and Ron. Harry just had less of a personality than those two.


September (SAPPHIRE): Blue like the ocean which is calming – Name a book that had a calming affect on you

Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon, Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, and The Lies About Truth by Courtney C Stevens. Contemporaries are just calming books, because usually nobody dies and it's not about a horrifying alternate universe.


October (OPAL): Iridescent – Name an iridescent book, this can be a book with a beautiful cover (Shiny? Lots of colour?) or you can base it off of a character (Quirky? Colourful?)

For a colorful cover, I'll pick Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon again, but my current favourite book cover is that of Six Of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. It's dark, but the jacket feels amazing and the pages are black on the sides and the artwork is gorgeous. It's so beautiful!!!


November (TOPAZ): Associated with resilience – Name a book with a character who rises to the top in a time of adversity

Haley in The Impossible Knife Of Memory, because she takes care of her father completely on her own, when really, he should be taking care of her instead. She may not always be kind, and she doesn't really acknowledge that anyone has a difficult life other than herself, but she does try very hard to make her father happy again, and she really loves him.



That's all! I hope you enjoyed! Give this tag a go if you like, it's very fun to do! Have a great day. :)


~Unicorn

No comments:

Post a Comment